Thursday, November 26, 2009

How long have you've been working here?

I saw an episode of Globe Trekker (called Pilot Guides in certain countries) last night about New York City. I'd like to visit The Big Apple someday but that's not what I found fascinating about the episode. The fascinating thing was the interview with the oldest stock broker in the world. He was 94 years old and he started working on Wall Street in 1927, yes 1927, he's been working there for over 80 years. I found a CBS video of an interview made with him in 2008 so if he's still alive and working he is 95 by now.

Most people don't make it until 80 and this guy have worked at Wall Street that long. He have truly seen it all, the rise and fall of the world economy more than once. He's been there in it's darkest hour and in it's finest hour. There are certain traits I admire in the older generations and he's got them...

5 comments:

  1. There was a woman who had worked for the State (where I work) for more than 50 years. She used to fall asleep at her desk all the time. I asked why she didn't just retire and someone said when she started there, there was no retirement plan and when it first started, she didn't take it because she didn't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't met anyone personally who has worked more than 40 and a couple of years anywhere. But I can understand that there might be a tragic story behind the many years. Or a sense of strong work ethics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think four years is the longest I've stayed at the same job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That's pretty awesome, to think all that he has seen or heard or witnessed or survived or avoided in those years on the job!

    ReplyDelete