Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sushibar

The city where I live, Vaasa, has a number of restaurant that offers international food. In Vaasa's case that means Mediterranean food and kebab. So there are still a few gaps. But today they started serving sushi at a cafébar. The cafébar is located in an old cinema. The cinema is now called a cultural stage. They have stand up comedians, amateur theater and local film festivals. The cafébar has up until now served coffee, beer and alcohol with cakes, danish and toasts.

But they have started serving sushi on Wednesdays and today was their their first Wednesday with sushi on the menu. We've made sushi at home and the last place we ate sushi out was in sushibar in Stockholm with an all Japanese staff. As their first day of serving sushi it wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as in the sushibar in Stockholm but it looked better than the stuff we have made at home.

It's not a sushibar, it's a cafébar. The other customers looked like artistically orientated students. But now we can eat sushi in this city in a restaurant environment. I don't think a dedicated sushibar could make it here so it's nice that someone makes the stuff once a week.

7 comments:

  1. My boyfriend took me for sushi on one of our earlier dates. I wanted to be a good sport so I went along, but that was the nastiest stuff I've ever eaten. I've tried and tried to acquire a taste for it but even California rolls turn my stomach. I know it's good for me and low in calories so I wish I could like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely an acquired taste. But we have something here called soured herring. It's fermented canned fish. It's perfectly safe to eat, the problem is that the food preservation process used cause the fish to smell and taste like rotten fish. That was to much for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really love sushi!!! Connor, our 2yrs old, will eat 18 pieces in one sitting if we let him! Little piggie! We actually just had sushi (California roll and Dynamite roll) on Sunday. I order a party tray for the six of us and that's barely enough now that the kids are getting older! I did try and make my own once, it was good, but didn't taste nearly as yummy as it should have for all the effort required to roll it all!!!

    Stephanie, I think the key to sushi is finding a sushi flavour and style that you do like...every restaurant rolls it slightly different in my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Nina ordered California rolls and I had one of those and they where definitely "easy" sushi. I had the traditional nigirizushi; rice with salmon, ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. They had one roll makizushi with the traditional raw fish(salmon) and the same makizushi with chicken, a really western variety. That was their whole sushi menu, I guess they are testing how it works before they add more varieties to the menu.

    But this is Finland, fish preservation are done in almost an unlimited number of ways, very few of them includes heating so raw fish isn't the problem here. It's the taste of they soy sauce and the seaweed wrappings that people have problems acquiring the taste for...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had sushi a few times, but not a great fan of it, have to admit. My favourite Japanese meal was at a Japanese restaurant a couple of years ago. Their raw fish tasted clean and delicious, and their deep fried vegetables in batter was pretty good too. The place was not very large, but packed and they managed to get the food out quickly to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you live in Vasa, try the Ruotsala Kalaliike at Saluhallen. they have excellent Sushi on Friday's delivered by Sushi House from Jakobstad. The chef there is trained by Japanese chef's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you =). You also have to order them on Thursdays in order to get them on Friday so we did yesterday =). I checked out Sushi House and Kristin the owner/chef has lived 20 years in Vancouver and claimed to have tried every sushi restaurant in the area and it was there she learned how to make sushi =)

    ReplyDelete