Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I was filmed by Google

Today was a fairly interesting day. We are a group of people that go for lunch once a week or should, lately it's been at best once a month. We meet trough a web community set up by a radio station and this week that same radio station is broadcasting live from the town square and they offered free lunch for our lunch group nearby.

After the lunch we spent a few hours window shopping, well I was mostly dragged along. Anyway when we got home I went by the mail boxes and picked up our mail. That when I saw it, the Google car. It was a white station wagon driving by. It had a three foot steel pole painted in black on top of it and on top of the pole was a octagonal box covered with glass all around it. And on the side of the car you could read "Google". I was just staring and thought "WTF is that???" and when it had passed by I realized what it was. You know the street wiew finction in Google Maps? Well they were filming our street for street wiev on Google maps. Inside the octagonal box was 8 cameras and I can be seen staring like an idiot at two or three of the cameras...

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Well, congrats on your 15 minutes of fame. Is this something that will be showing up for the next ten years, as the satellite views on there do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More like 15 seconds =) I would guess somewhere between 5 and 10 years. They updated the birds eye aerial photos 2 years ago (windows live maps). But aerial photo equipment has been around as long as airplanes. I think Google's eight camera octagonal box is quite unique because their street view is the only thing I know that uses such imagery so it might take 5-10 years before they drive by again...

    ReplyDelete