Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Learning the art of photography

A few weeks ago I bought a new camera. Our old digital camera was of the tourist type of camera and our daughter managed to get hold of it and the battery hatch is now kept shut with duct tape. Nina's birthday is also coming up next week so it was definitely time for a new camera.

The camera I bought is a Nikon D3000. I have read trough the manual and I have taken some pictures. But I have realized that I need to sit down with the manual and the camera. Read trough a section of the manual and then try it out with the camera and then read another section and try it out. I have taken some really great pictures, far, far better then our old camera. But then there are a lot of crappy pictures. I realize that an SLR camera is a bit more complex and that I need to learn to master it if I intend to take those really great pictures.

So I'm slowly learning the art of photography picture by picture. It's spring here and soon nature will become green again and I'll have many opportunities to practice.

5 comments:

  1. I love my Nikon D3000! Have you used the "guide" mode? It is a great way to get used to the variety of modes on the camera without struggling to read the manual and balance the camera in your lap while Mirelle runs circles around you with the dogs!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually brought the camera to work and had the manual saved on Google documents, and that evening at work turned out to be quite busy. Just to get away from one screaming/running kid with a couple of dogs doing the same thing. LOL ;-P. But thank you for that advice, Ill try that out =).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I've never really taken the time to learn to be a better photographer. I love taking pictures...but there's so much technical stuff...learning which lenses are best for which lighting and shutter speeds and all that... I'd rather just write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a new camera recently and I love it. It's a Sony point and shoot, easy peasy, but has 14 megapixels and a Carl Zeiss lens. It takes great shots, I'm really pleased with it. I hope you will post some of your pics on this blog, it's always interesting seeing the world through other people's eyes (cameras) - photography is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have begun trying to take other pictures than dog and kid pictures. About 95 % of the pictures on my hard drive are either dogs, kids or some sort of combination. Kids and dogs are great but I'm trying to focus on learning how to take landscape pictures. So once I get the hang of it I'll try to post a few pictures here =)

    ReplyDelete