Thursday, October 22, 2009

Winter tires

It's been below freezing point now and then the last few weeks but when I left work this morning two cars was standing at the side of the road 50 meters past the driveway to my work. It looked like the owners where arguing. That was the sign I've been looking for, the sign that it's time to change from summer tires or just tires if you live somewhere where it never snows to winter tires.

The roads where icy this morning so the fender bender outside my work was not the only one involving people who where still driving with summer tires. Three cars skidded off the motorway and the local police advised people on the local newspaper's website to change their tires immediately if they haven't already done so (they used those exact words).

Winter tires are tires that have metal studs and are marked M+S or M&S which stands for Mud and Snow. I've changed the tires on Nina's car tonight (I'm driving it to and from work tonight) and tomorrow I'm changing the tires on my car. They make more noise than summer tires due to the metal studs and the M&S profile compared to summer tires that are made for AC roads. It's only about 6 months until I can change back to summer tires...

5 comments:

  1. I wish we'd get snow... I do casual work for a snow clearing company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No snow here yet either, the roads are just icy and slippery in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't really get snow here...so no need to get snow tires. I've watched someone put chains on his tires to drive over ice. That was a painful ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have to put chains on it's really really bad weather and you can't really drive that fast, if you do it becomes painful =). We used them in the army but that was because a large part of the driving we did was off road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting Dolje. You'd have to be a little crazy not to change your tyres to suit the season with the potential hazard of not doing so.

    ReplyDelete