Monday, July 27, 2009

Magic mornings

My vacation starts in a week and I almost think it's the wrong time but only almost. You see now begins the time of the year when early mornings are foggy, quiet and a bit chilly. I have 2 morning shifts and 4 night shifts left so I'll still get to see few magic mornings. When I return to work in late August there's still a month worth of magic mornings.

An early morning in late summer or early fall brings a kind of weather I find beautiful beyond words. The temperature is just a few degrees above freezing point, there's a dense fog covering the ground and everything is wet. It's also very quiet, you can hear everything from miles away but everyone who's awake at that time are quiet admiring the same silence you are admiring. You can also see the sun just starting to rise above the horizon.

It is at that moment when the sun lights up the dense fog just before that same sun light starts clearing the fog I feel more alive and awake than ever before and it's also in that moment I feel absolute peace with myself and the world. It's that moment in my life I wish could last forever. It's magic...

2 comments:

  1. I don't experience much of that in the States. Quiet is a thing of the past unless you live in the country. But there is something about being up early, especially when it's cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a city with 60 000 inhabitants and the suburb where we live is an old village that was acquired from a neighboring countryside municipality 40 years ago. There have been some building development but not that much in the part where we live and they've tried to maintain that old country village feeling so far. It's surrounded by forest which will probably be transformed fully into a residential area in 20-30 years from now. But so far I live right in the the quiet countryside, only 3-4 miles from work in the city =).

    ReplyDelete