Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Last King of Scotland

Last night was movie night. We went to the video rental store and hired two movies and bought some ice cream. The first movie which we saw last night was “The Last King of Scotland”. Well the only Scottish about the movie was the fictional character of Dr Garrigan. Well he is loosely based on real person taking elements from a few others in Uganda at that time.

The movie is about Uganda’s late dictator Idi Amin. I’ve seen a few movies lately about dictators, kings and emperors and they seem to have one thing in common. They start out full of ideals and ideas on how to improve things. But absolute power is absolutely corrupt. They can’t handle being in full control and soon real enemies and mostly imaginary enemies start dying but the thousands, in some cases millions. Amin was no exception to this rule. How many 100 000s of people he killed is unclear but it shows that no one should have absolute power.

The other movie, well Nina is going to see that today while I’m at work. I really didn’t remember the name of it but I think Brad Pitt was in it…

1 comment:

  1. I've heard about that movie, I can't say I am keen on seeing it though. It's amazing how the film industry immortalizes such bastards. This isn't even the only movie about this crazy man! Hmph!!

    ReplyDelete