Thursday, August 23, 2007

In the night

I’m back at work after my vacation. Well, actually I have done 4 morning shifts already. But I’m doing my first out of 4 night shifts now. It’s my favorite shift. I have written about this before but it’s worth mentioning again.

It’s a whole different world we night shifters see. It’s an empty world since most people are sleeping this time. But those of us who are awake become alive. I don’t know how else to describe it. Maybe it’s the darkness that requires us to heighten our senses. In mankind’s distant past or even earlier that was probably an ability necessary for survival. It was so vital that it became part of our genes.

Whatever the cause for this, it’s why I like the night shift. I feel alive…

1 comment:

  1. Back in college I used to waitress and worked til 2am many nights...then stayed up til 6am.....same as you, I loved the "alone" feeling, knowing everyone else was alseep and I had the world to myself!!!

    ReplyDelete